Skip to main content

Italy - USCIS Rome Field Office

USCIS Rome Field Office is Closed to the Public.

As announced on Aug. 9, 2019, USCIS will permanently close its field office in Rome, Italy, on June 30, 2020. The last day the office will accept applications/petitions and be open to the public is May 29, 2020. The U.S. Embassy in Rome will assume responsibility for certain limited services that USCIS previously provided to individuals residing in Italy (see table below).

Individuals who previously received assistance from the USCIS Rome Field Office (which includes individuals residing in Italy, Algeria, Andorra, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, France, Gibraltar, the Holy See, Kosovo, Libya, Macedonia, Malta, Mauritania, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Portugal, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia and Western Sahara) must follow these filing instructions:

Service/Form Filing Instructions

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

As of Feb. 1, 2020, file your petition by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox or online using the USCIS website. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 webpage.

If you are a U.S. citizen, the Department of State may accept a petition from you if you are filing for your immediate relative (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if you are 21 years of age or older)) at a U.S. embassy or consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3. Please contact the U.S. embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live for further information.

Active-Duty Military: If you are an active-duty U.S. citizen service member stationed permanently at a military base overseas, you may file this petition directly with the Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate without needing to establish exceptional circumstances.

Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (for Widow(er) petitions only) 

As of Feb. 1, 2020, if you reside outside of the United States, you may be able to file at the U.S. embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. Please contact them for more information.

Please see the Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant webpage for the most current filing instructions.

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)

Beginning Nov. 1, 2019, if you are a lawful permanent resident who has lost your Green Card and/or reentry permit and you need travel documentation to return to the U.S., you can file your Form I-131A with any U.S. embassy consular section. To make an appointment to file the Form I-131A for travel documentation at the U.S. Embassy in Rome or any U.S. consulate in Italy, see the embassy’s website.

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Submit your Form I-407 to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-407 webpage.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa.

Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

You must file your petition with the USCIS Nebraska or Texas service center, depending on where the petitioner lives in the United States.

For beneficiary interviews/processing, contact the U.S. embassy consular section in the country where the beneficiary resides.

Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

If you are a member of the U.S. military stationed overseas, please see the Form N-400 webpage or call 800-375-5283 for the most current filing instructions. 

USCIS has a toll-free military help line, 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339, and e-mail address at exclusively for current members of the military and their families as well as veterans. Our representatives are available to answer calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central), excluding federal holidays.

Members of the U.S. armed forces and their families stationed in the U.S. or overseas may access the help line using the toll-free number through their base telephone operator or using the Defense Switched Network (DSN).

Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition

You must file your Form I-600A by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox. The USCIS National Benefits Center will process the application. You may find additional information on the Form I-600A webpage.

Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative


You may file your Form I-600:

  • By mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox; the USCIS National Benefits Center will process the petition, or
  • In person with the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate in the adoptive child’s country of origin (if certain criteria are met).

You may find updated information on the Form I-600 webpage.

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Refugee Travel Document) You should file Form I-131 to apply for a refugee travel document and appear for any required biometrics service appointment BEFORE you leave the United States. If you are currently outside the United States, you may file a Form I-131 and apply for a refugee travel document if you have been outside the United States for less than 1 year at the time of filing. Please see the USCIS Form I-131 webpage for filing instructions.

General information about the U.S. Embassy in Rome is available on the embassy website.

For more information about specific services provided at the immigrant visa section at the U.S. Consulate General in Naples, Italy, please visit the consulate website.

For information on other immigration benefits, please visit We suggest you use Ask Emma for more details about what you want to accomplish. Many times, you may be able to complete your task online.

Have a question about a pending application or petition? Send USCIS a secure message through your USCIS Online account. Opening an account is easy.

You may also send us a message though your USCIS Online account if you need help.

Last Reviewed/Updated: