How to File a FOIA/PA Request

There are a number of immigration records available by request from USCIS; however, some records can only be obtained from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) or other DHS components such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Our Submitting FOIA Requests table contains information that will help you file your FOIA request.

Before filing a FOIA/Privacy Act request with USCIS, please visit the USCIS Electronic Reading Room to ensure that we have not already proactively released the records you are requesting.

Instructions for Requesting USCIS Records

Unless otherwise noted below, mail or fax all requests to USCIS records, including alien files and procurement information, to the National Records Center.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office
P.O. Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010

USCIS Contact Center: 800-375-5283 or TTY 800-767-1833
Fax: 802-860-6908 or 816-350-5785

  • You must submit your FOIA request in writing. You can use Form G-639, but it is not required.
  • Please see the Freedom of Information Request Guide (PDF, 396 KB) for detailed information necessary to process your request.
  • If you are able to scan the subject of record's notarized signature or signature made under the penalty of perjury, attach it to an email and send it to We will accept this email as your FOIA request.
  • USCIS does not collect Social Security numbers in connection with FOIA or PA requests. When forwarding any documents to USCIS related to a FOIA or PA request, please blank out or remove all Social Security numbers.

Accessibility Note:
The records received from your FOIA request may not be fully accessible under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Upon request of accessibility assistance, you will be contacted by a representative of our office who will address your needs. When requesting this assistance, please indicate your name, a phone number where you can be reached, and the FOIA Control Number in question. Send request to the FOIA mailbox at with the subject line "FOIA Disability Accommodations" or call (800) 375-5283 or TTY 800-767-1833.

Personnel-related FOIA requests

Please send personnel-related FOIA requests to the National Records Center as well.

Requesting Certifications

Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. The USCIS Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. Requests for this service should be addressed to:

USCIS Records Operation Branch
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Records Operation Branch
1200 First Street NE MS2202
Washington, D.C. 20529-2202

Requesting Customs and Border Protection Records

Please visit CBP's FOIA Page to request non-Alien file Customs and Border Protection records.


Adjustment of Status - For individuals filing a Form I-485 to Adjust to Permanent Resident Status or to Register Permanent Residence, USCIS requires you to submit a copy of your official stamped passport to prove your last lawful entry into the United States. USCIS may require additional documentation after the initial filing of your Form I-485. You should only submit a FOIA request for documents for which you do not have access.

Naturalization - For individuals filing a U.S. Citizenship Application Form N-400 to obtain U.S. citizenship (naturalization), USCIS requires your entry/exit information to/from the United States for the past five years. This information can be obtained by reviewing the entry/exit stamps in your passport. USCIS may require additional documentation after the initial filing of your Form N-400. You should only submit a FOIA request for documents for which you do not have access.

Bond Obligor Requests

All Bond Obligor requests should be requested from U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement. Bond obligor files are under the control of U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement. Please refer any requests to:

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Freedom of Information Act Office
500 12th Street SW, Stop 5009
Washington, DC 20536-5009

Routine Use

Government agencies (federal, state or local) seeking deportation information about an individual should contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the following address:

Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
500 12th Street SW - Suite 2194
Washington, DC 20024

Last Reviewed/Updated: