Skip to main content

Tips for Foreign Nationals Impacted by Civil Unrest or Natural Disasters

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Conditions in your home country, such as civil unrest or a severe environmental disaster may impede your ability to return home as originally planned or may create temporary financial difficulties for you and your family. Extreme situations beyond your control also may affect your ability to maintain lawful immigration status while in the United States. During these special situations, temporary relief measures may be available to eligible foreign nationals.

If you are a foreign national who has been affected by a severe environmental disaster or other extreme situation, the available options for which you may apply include:

  • A change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States;
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and relatives of lawful permanent residents whose priority dates are current; and
  • Expedited employment authorization where appropriate.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program may contact a USCIS local office for assistance.
For more information on USCIS humanitarian programs, visit or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.


Last Reviewed/Updated: