Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Syria


TPS Designated Through:

Sept. 30, 2019

Re-registration period for People Who Already Have TPS:

March 5, 2018 through May 4, 2018

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Auto-Extended Through:Sept. 27, 2018

Continuous Residence Date in U.S. Since:

August 1, 2016

Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since:

October 1, 2016

TPS Designation Date:

March 29, 2012

TPS Redesignation Date:

August 1, 2016

Federal Register Notice Citation:

 83 FR 9329

When to File for TPS

If you currently have TPS under Syria’s designation and would like to keep your TPS, you must re-register during the 60-day re-registration period that runs from March 5, 2018, through May 4, 2018. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 60-day re-registration period.

Go to the TPS webpage for information about registering.

Where to File

Send your TPS package to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you:

Then, mail your application to:

Would like to send your application by U.S. Postal Service

P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL 60680-6943

Would like to send your application by non-U.S. Postal Service courier

Attn: Syria TPS
131 S. Dearborn 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Extension

USCIS has automatically extended the validity of employment authorization documents (EADs) issued under the last extension of TPS Syria for an additional 180 days, through Sept. 27, 2018. If you are a TPS beneficiary under Syria’s designation and your EAD is based on your TPS status with an original expiration date of March 31, 2018, your EAD is covered by this automatic extension and you may continue to work.

To prove that you are eligible to continue working legally, you may show the following documentation to your employer and government agencies:

  • Your TPS-related EAD with a March 31, 2018, expiration date; and
  • A copy of the Federal Register notice announcing the automatic extension.

Your employer may rely on the Federal Register notice as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD. Go to the Documentation Employers May Accept and Temporary Protected Status Beneficiaries May Present as Evidence of Employment Eligibility page for more information.

If we approve your TPS re-registration application, and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or if we approved your fee waiver request), we will issue you an EAD with the expiration date of Sept. 30, 2019.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions, go to the TPS webpage.

Other Immigration Options

You might be eligible for other immigration options listed on the Explore My Options page.

To apply for a lawful permanent status (Green Card), you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on the Green Card Eligibility Categories page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Note on Seeking Asylum: Being granted and maintaining TPS status until a reasonable period before the filing of the asylum application is considered an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of the one year filing deadline. In other words, having TPS status “stops the clock” on the requirement to file for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States, if the one-year clock has not already expired. See 8 CFR 208.4(a)(5)(iv).

Avoid Scams

Please be aware that some unauthorized practitioners may try to take advantage of you by claiming they can file TPS forms. These same individuals may ask that you pay them to file such forms. We want to ensure that all potential TPS applicants know how to obtain legitimate, accurate legal advice and assistance. A list of accredited representatives and free or low-cost legal providers is available on the USCIS website on the finding legal advice web page.

We don’t want you to become a victim of an immigration scam. If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized organization can give you legal advice. Visit the Avoid Scams page for information and resources.



Last Reviewed/Updated: