Chapter 4 - Family Members

A foreign information media representative’s spouse and unmarried children (under age 21) may accompany the foreign media representative and be admitted under the “I” nonimmigrant visa classification. [1] If approved, such dependents may attend school in the United States without changing to F-1 nonimmigrant student status. However, the dependents are not authorized to work in the United States while in the foreign information media representative dependent status. 


1. [^] Note that there is no separate classification for dependents of foreign media representative nonimmigrants (for example, there is no I-2 classification). See codes of admission in Chapter 5, Adjudication, Section B, Approvals [2 USCIS-PM K.5(B)].

INA 101(a)(15)(I) - Representatives of foreign media


No forms available at this time.


No appendices available at this time.

Technical Update - Replacing the Term “Foreign National”

October 08, 2019

This technical update replaces all instances of the term “foreign national” with “alien” throughout the Policy Manual as used to refer to a person who meets the definition provided in INA 101(a)(3) [“any person not a citizen or national of the United States”].



POLICY ALERT - Media Representatives (I) Nonimmigrant Visa Classification

November 10, 2015

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is issuing policy guidance regarding the foreign information media representative nonimmigrant visa classification, commonly known as the “I” visa category.


Current as of


Current as of